Table of Contents
- 1 Where is the highest solar radiation?
- 2 Where can solar radiation be found?
- 3 What is solar radiation in geography?
- 4 Which of the following most affects the amount of solar radiation received by a location or water body?
- 5 Which location on Earth receives the most solar radiation in any given year?
- 6 Which of the following affects the amount of solar radiation received by a location or water body?
- 7 Which state is the largest producer of solar energy?
- 8 Which of the following affects the amount of solar radiation received by a location?
- 9 What kind of radiation does the sun emit?
- 10 Why is the sun’s radiation more concentrated near the equator?
Where is the highest solar radiation?
Chile’s Atacama Desert has been shown to have the highest long term solar irradiance of any place on Earth1 and it is a national priority to encourage the use of this resource according to the National energy strategy 2012–20302 and the National energy policy3.
Where can solar radiation be found?
Solar radiation, often called the solar resource or just sunlight, is a general term for the electromagnetic radiation emitted by the sun. Solar radiation can be captured and turned into useful forms of energy, such as heat and electricity, using a variety of technologies.
What is solar radiation in geography?
Solar radiation is radiant energy emitted by the sun from a nuclear fusion reaction that creates electromagnetic energy. About half of the radiation is in the visible short-wave part of the electromagnetic spectrum.
Which country has the highest solar energy potential?
- China leads the world as the top producer of solar energy, installing more than 30.1 GW of photovoltaic (PV) capacity in 2019.
- The United States, India, Japan, and Vietnam rank next on the list of top solar producers.
Where is the biggest solar power plant in the world?
1. Gonghe 2,200 MWAC (-) China recaptures the number one position this year with the 2,200 MWAC solar power plant commissioned last September by Huanghe Hydropower Developments. It covers over 5,000 hectares of semi-desert in Gonghe County of the Hainan Prefecture in Qinghai, China.
Which of the following most affects the amount of solar radiation received by a location or water body?
The solar irradiance received by a particular location or body of water depends on the elevation above sea level, the angle of the sun (due to latitude, season and time of day) and scattering elements such as clouds 9. The higher the elevation, the shorter the path from the atmosphere.
Which location on Earth receives the most solar radiation in any given year?
The sun’s rays do not strike the Earth’s surface as directly at the North Pole; they are less focused. The equator receives the most solar radiation in a year. The difference in the amount of solar energy the land receives causes the atmosphere to move the way it does.
Which of the following affects the amount of solar radiation received by a location or water body?
4. Which of the following affects the amount of solar radiation received by a location or water body? Explanation: A variety of factors affect the amount of solar radiation received by a location or water body. Some of them are altitude and latitude of the location, cloud cover over the location and the time of day.
Which state is the largest user of solar energy?
1. Karnataka — 7,100MW. The south-western state of Karnataka heads India’s list of states producing solar energy. With a total installed solar power capacity of about 7,100MW – notwithstanding the 1,000MW of projects in the pipeline – Karnataka is way ahead of the other states.
What city uses the most solar energy?
Honolulu leads the United States for solar power per person among cities surveyed, followed by San Diego, San Jose and Burlington, Vermont. All of the “Solar Stars” have experienced dramatic growth in solar energy and are setting the pace nationally for solar energy development.
Which state is the largest producer of solar energy?
Rajasthan has topped in installed capacity of solar energy in India with 7737.95MW as per the state-wise report released by the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE). The state has added a solar installed capacity of 2348.47MW in 2021 within eight months.
Which of the following affects the amount of solar radiation received by a location?
The intensity of the solar radiation at a given location depends on your latitude, terrain, season, time of day, and atmospheric conditions. For example, clouds, dust, and water vapor all affect the amount of radiation that reaches the surface at any given location.
What kind of radiation does the sun emit?
The Sun emits radiation from X-rays to radio waves, but the irradiance of solar radiation peaks in the visible wavelengths (see figure below). Common units of irradiance are Joules per second per m 2 of surface that is illuminated per nm of wavelength (e.g., between 300 nm and 301 nm), or W m –2 nm –1 for the plot below.
How does the amount of solar radiation vary?
The amount of solar radiation that reaches any one spot on the Earth’s surface varies according to: 1 Geographic location 2 Time of day 3 Season 4 Local landscape 5 Local weather.
What kind of radiation is absorbed by the atmosphere?
As sunlight passes through the atmosphere, some of it is absorbed, scattered, and reflected by: Volcanoes. This is called diffuse solar radiation. The solar radiation that reaches the Earth’s surface without being diffused is called direct beam solar radiation.
Why is the sun’s radiation more concentrated near the equator?
When the Sun’s rays strike Earth’s surface near the equator, the incoming solar radiation is more direct (nearly perpendicular or closer to a 90˚ angle). Therefore, the solar radiation is concentrated over a smaller surface area, causing warmer temperatures.