What happens if I accidentally swallow my gum?
If you swallow a piece of gum, there’s probably no reason to see a doctor. It should pass normally through your digestive tract. If you swallow a large amount of gum or if you swallow gum with other indigestible objects, that might cause a blockage. This could require surgery to remove it from your digestive tract.
Why do parents say not to swallow gum?
Is Swallowing Gum Harmful? Though it is indigestible for humans, gum — like seeds, nuts, and roughage — won’t damage the digestive system. However, Dr. McGreal cautions, the natural and artificial sweeteners in sugar-free gum can cause nausea, diarrhea, and headaches if swallowed in large quantities.
What if a child swallows chewing gum?
Chewing gum itself is not toxic to humans. If your child swallowed 1 or 2 pieces, give them a few sips of water and watch for vomiting, bowel habit changes, or abdominal pain and bloating. If they experience symptoms, call IPC at 1-800-222-1222.
Is chewing gum cancerous?
A great deal of sugar-free gum is sweetened with a common sugar substitute called Aspartame. One study which appeared in the Life Sciences Journal concluded that Aspartame may help create formaldehyde in the body, which is a known carcinogen.
What happens if you accidentally swallow gum?
So when you swallow gum accidentally, it reaches the stomach as any food would. The stomach then tries to digest it as if it were food. When it fails, the gum will simply continue to move through the intestinal tract, as do the many foods that the body is not able to digest, until it is expelled in the faeces.
Can chewing gum kill you?
“Gum won’t harm or kill you, but it just isn’t logical to swallow it purposefully.” Swallowing a big wad of gum could cause you to choke, if it got caught in the wind pipe, but this is the same with any other type of food. Overall, it’s best to chew it until it loses its flavour – then spit it out.
Is swallowing gum actually dangerous?
Although chewing gum is designed to be chewed and not swallowed, it generally isn’t harmful if swallowed. Folklore suggests that swallowed gum sits in your stomach for seven years before it can be digested. But this isn’t true. If you swallow gum, it’s true that your body can’t digest it.
Does swallowing gum hurt you?
Swallowing a piece of gum once in a while probably won’t hurt you. But if you swallow many pieces in a short amount of time, or swallow a particularly large wad of gum at once, it can be harmful, potentially causing a blockage in your digestive tract. Because of this possibility,…